He burst out these words in a terrible taking. English

Who knows what "taking" means in this sentence?

He burst out these words in a terrible taking.

Thanks a lot!

I’ve never heard it used like this not once in my English speaking life.
Like where did this sentence come from?

When used in the expression "In a taking." " Taking" usually refers to a state of mind (mental state) that can cause one person to act erratically or in a bizarre way. So it could mean he said those words in a disturbed state of mind that showed itself in a very nonsensical agitation... That's one way to understand it but better context might make it more understandable. And I advise you to use the wiktionary app (It's a blue little app just called "English"), it has a lots of words, and has been so far the most useful in my readings.

Hope this helps.
Best,

I found it in a dictionary.

When used in the expression "In a taking." " Taking" usually refers to a state of mind (mental state) that can cause one person to act erratically or in a bizarre way. So it could mean he said those words in a disturbed state of mind that showed itself in a very nonsensical agitation... That's one way to understand it but better context might make it more understandable. And I advise you to use the wiktionary app (It's a blue little app just called "English"), it has a lots of words, and has been so far the most useful in my readings.

Hope this helps.
Best,

Thanks!

I found it in a dictionary.
Oh my bad, that’s a rare usage of the word 😭