Is it common for modern flims to be difficult to understand? Sitä ja tätä

First of all, I must say that I'm not an expert in movies, but I do admire many of the world's most famous filmmakers for their ability to deliver an "unforgettable" story in a way that no one else can.
However, one thing I've noticed regarding film enjoyment is that it appears to be very common for new films to be difficult to understand nowadays...(For example, many of Nolan's movies) I wonder if anyone feels the same way I do? Let's share some thoughts.

*Sorry for the misspelling in the topic. The word "flims" should be "films".

Hello Yu

🎞️ Like you, I am not an expert in film making. However, I am a film buff... 🙂

" Christopher Nolan is undoubtedly one of THE film-makers of the new generation.
His films often deal with the inner turmoil of the protagonist ... which is of
course interesting but also very complex. I like the challenge he create for
his audience. He likes to leave room for our own interpretations ... I guess.

I love 'complexity' in filmes and watch some films several times to grasp the
nuances. In general, I like films that are not so easy to understand and that
I have to 'make-an-effort' for ... "

Yes, I agree with you. Many films are difficult to understand, especially Christopher Nolan's films. But maybe it's on purpose. If you have watched a movie and haven't completely understood it yet, but the story is interesting, you maybe watch it again and buy the DVD.

Such movies should be watched in private and carefully, in fact you should live in the position of the same character.

No, in almost any time (not counting the time before the 19th century) there were films that were difficult to understand, be it art house, or films for mass audiences, like the films of the same Christopher Nolan. And by the way, as for Nolan, he is a narcissist by nature, so he always puts himself above the audience, especially in intellectual terms

And by the way, as for Nolan, he is a narcissist by nature
How would you even know that and why do you think it's appropriate for you to say? I didn't find anything on it online, so he doesn't appear to be diagnosed with it.

Directors such as Nolan, generally search for compositional perfection in their filmographies. Therefore they are open to manipulate visual storytelling, narrative innovation, and practical effects. A film is not limited by a plot in their works, yet script is pretty crucial. They tend to use complex yet coherent plot layers. Time is often a character in Nolan’s films, manipulated and presented in complex structures. They love to play with visual palettes in the scenes. Colors tell a lot more than you think. The interplay of shadow and light is a consistent element as well. If you watch just the action in the screen, these films, might feel kind of complex, but if you pay attention in moods, display angles, color palette, soundscapes, tension frames individually, then you will see a different picture in the screen.

Nolan is far from being a narcissist. We are generally confused between the terms for narcissist and genious. Nolan is rather genious since his filmography challenges with audience's mind and interest during the journey to visual, cinematic perfection. Avarage directors give the audience what audience wants but directors such as Nolan, invate the audience to their meticulously crafted worlds.

Directors such as Nolan, generally search for compositional perfection in their filmographies. Therefore they are open to manipulate visual storytelling, narrative innovation, and practical effects. A film is not limited by a plot in their works, yet script is pretty crucial. They tend to use complex yet coherent plot layers. Time is often a character in Nolan’s films, manipulated and presented in complex structures. They love to play with visual palettes in the scenes. Colors tell a lot more than you think. The interplay of shadow and light is a consistent element as well. If you watch just the action in the screen, these films, might feel kind of complex, but if you pay attention in moods, display angles, color palette, soundscapes, tension frames individually, then you will see a different picture in the screen.

Nolan is far from being a narcissist. We are generally confused between the terms for narcissist and genious. Nolan is rather genious since his filmography challenges with audience's mind and interest during the journey to visual, cinematic perfection. Avarage directors give the audience what audience wants but directors such as Nolan, invate the audience to their meticulously crafted worlds.

Watching Nolan's films requires a lot of knowledge hahha.

Watching Nolan's films requires a lot of knowledge hahha.
Nolan is not such a hard case as comparing to David Lynch. 😃

No? I mean, in the past there were directors like Andrei Tarkovsky, try to understand some of his movies. 😉
I just think that when you have access to movies made all around the world, by people from different backgrounds, it's perfectly fine that you don't understand everything – you may just not know some cultural context or whatever. Or just don't understand the director because they think in a different way. And it's wonderful – you may try to read some interpretations, learn something new and watch the movie again, understanding things that you didn't understand before. Or forget about the author's intention totally and create your own interpretation. Or just admit that you don't get something and move on.
Another thing is that some people just love to overcomplicate their stuff to make it appear more "deep" and "artsy". 😉

We understand movies or any thing based on lot of relative factors . Our culture, language skills, education , our exposure .... ect . These factors play vital role in understanding anything.
As an example white flag represent funeral in our country but in Europe it's a back flag.